Friday 23 September 2011

mabon, autumn equinox, brandy & vodka

Its been a beautiful autumn day today; a gentle breeze & sunshine. I love this time of year! Spent time in the studio and in my garden whilst isla slept. We went out together and gathered hawthorn berries to make brandy. I have enough blackberries for vodka too and this seems like the perfect day to do it.



I use cheap brandy (cheaper the better!) simply because I'm flavouring it so it doesn't need to be the good stuff. Agitate the jar every day for 2 weeks then strain through muslin and put into sterilised bottles. This is a wonderful heart tonic, perfect for the older gentlemen in your life. Makes a lovely xmas tipple for dad or grandpa (or anyone else for that matter)

Caution - Hawthorn is a powerful heart tonic and shouldn't be taken with other heart medicines or blood pressure medication. Excersie caution and seek a qualified herbalists advice if concerned.






Again cheap vodka is the way to go. Agitate the jar every day as before but leave for up to or beyond 3 months, then strain and bottle. I have some from a few years ago that I forgot to strain and some that I bottled and haven't drunk yet so it should be a festive xmas! I can recommend a shot of this with lemonade, yum!



Have a wonderful autumn equinox! Spend today appreciating everything in life you are grateful for and the people that have made that happen.




2 comments:

jude said...

sometimes the color of these things makes me feel better

do you know acey? a friend and remedy woman?
http://sparklinglotusland.typepad.com/

jen said...

I know what you mean, sometimes all it takes for me is the sun to come out!

I don't know her but I will definately check her out, thanks