Friday 20 May 2011

make do & mend

I bought a cheap plywood box in B&Q that I wanted to use as a toy box for my daughter but it needed a bit of a makeover first.


I started by taking off its hinges; it was too dangerous as it was because she could lift and bang the lid. I cut some lengths of mdf to fit inside the lid so it could be lifted on and off instead. I also wanted it to double as a seat so I cut up and folded a piece of fleece for a cushion (ikea fleece blankets - great for large cheap pieces of fleece) and covered it with some funky fabric I had in my stash.


I buy alot of fabric from a wonderful company I know online called Fabric Rehab. This piece was a fat quarter I'd bought for a quilting project. (A fat quarter is a quarter metre, 50cm x 56cm approx.) Check out their site, they've got some great stuff!  http://www.fabricrehab.co.uk/  One fat quarter was enough to cover the top perfectly. I didn't bother to sew a proper cushion cover I just pulled the fabric tight underneath the lid and stapled it in place. The pieces of MDF I'd cut were then glued in to secure it and the fabric tidied up with a knife. 


After painting the box with some left over tester pots it's done. My daughter can now use it as a toy box and she can use the lid on the floor as a seat until she's big enough to use the box aswell. Not bad for an afternoons work!






No comments: