Wednesday 8 February 2012

emerging from the dark

Happy new year and a blessed Imbolc!

I'm not really sure where the last 3 months has gone. I sit down at the computer intending to write a blog entry and for some reason something else takes over, I get distracted and never get round to it. I started this blog, like most people do, with the best intentions but somehow things get in the way. Wasn't John Lennon who said "life is what happens when you're busy making other plans"? Well that definately rings true for me!


Christmas was a family affair. My daughter is now 21 months old so she's becoming more aware of everything. It was a delight to watch her struggle with wrapping paper and hand out presents to everyone, including the cats. Christmas becomes more about the children as we get older, as it should be but I hope I never lose my childlike enthusiasm for the season. I still have my rituals, putting up the tree listening to Miles Davis, hanging stockings, wrapping presents whilst watching The Box of Delights or Holiday Inn, Watching The snowman on christmas eve and lighting the fire on christmas morning.

I find winter difficult. I suffer from SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and I find I have very little energy when its cold and dark. Added to the fact the days are so short here during the winter, I never really feel stable. I often feel a bit like a ship lost at sea, never really sure which direction to head in, bobbing around all over the place. We have had strange few months in the uk too. The weather has, as always, been predicably erratic; veering wildly from balmy, sunny and down-right spring like to flash rain storms, hail and ground frost. Then Imbolc arrived to herald the start of spring and it snowed for 2 days! Colds and flu have been rampant; I don't know anyone that hasn't suffered from some ailment or other. My family have had the flu, then a cold, cough and residual symptoms for about the last 2 months and I have to say its wearing thin. I guess the silver lining is that this is the time of the year when you feel least like doing anything so its the perfect time to get ill. (I have to put a positive spin on it or its just depressing!)

Still on a positive note, I am hoping for a creative year. I have spent a long time dwelling on the things I haven't had the time or energy to do this winter and now it is time to bring them to fruition. As we pass Imbolc and the days become visibly longer and lighter, we need to focus on getting rid of the things in our lives that drag us down and replace them with positive thoughts and inspiration. Time to spring clean and move on.

So I will be attemping to get my rear in gear and stop procrastinating. Easier said than done but as they say "a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step..."

Best wishes x




No comments: