Wednesday 15 February 2012

a Valentine message

Valentine's day is the day when we are "encouraged" to show our love for the people in our lives. I am very lucky to be in a loving relationship but we have never really celebrated Valentine's day, tending to concentrate more on celebrating our anniversary instead, we feel its more personal. I feel it is so important to show others how we feel about about them, especially our feelings of love, not just today but always. Life is too short for others not to know you care.

That being said, I think today should be as much about self love as it is about love for others. I believe to truly commit to loving someone else you must first learn to love yourself. Many say it is possible to love others and not yourself, but then your whole life becomes about them and making them happy. You could be in danger of losing sight of yourself and what makes you happy.



This year I want to work on finding new ways to try and connect with myself and get to the root of what makes me happy, what makes me tick.  There are a couple of people who's guidance I have found really helpful in this area. An inspirational soul I have the pleasure of being in contact with is Flora Peterson (aka Charming Pixie Flora on youtube) She, and fellow youtuber Joanna Devoe (aka MajorArcanaTV) recommend an effective way to boost self love and self esteem is through daily affirmations. This is actually easier than it sounds. Some people will get up in the morning and declare loudly to the world, "I am Amazing!" and others, like myself, may prefer to write it somewhere they can see it throughout the day, as a gentle reminder. I use a different, encouraging phrase or word every day to make you feel good about yourself. Try it, it works.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CharmingPixieFlora#p/u/3/o6v_6s3rPFU

http://www.youtube.com/user/MajorArcanaTV?ob=video-mustangbase#p/u/14/Sk39Cq3PKWY

Flora also talks about the use of prayer beads or Mala beads as a way of concentrating your mind on a particular phrase or affirmation, for daily meditation. I have always wanted to be able to meditate but I find it so hard to shut off from everything, especially my own mind, so I am interested to try this. So, in the spirit of self love and the endless pursuit of happiness I have made myself some Mala beads to hopefully help me to focus my mind on my affirmations. I am so blessed to have other people in my life who love me so it can't be that hard right? These are not traditional Buddhist or Tibetan Mala, although there are 108 on the string. For me, they are more an aid to concentration. There are many sites online that can explain how these beads should be set out depending on your spiritual path.


I hope everyone experiences love today, from others and from themselves, and long may it continue.

After all, a wise man once said "all you need is love" x.

No comments: